- Medium eggplant – 1
- Extra virgin olive oil or vegetable oil – 3-4 tablespoons
- Salt to taste
- Portuguese requeijão cheese (you can replace requeijão with ricotta) – 100 gr, at room temperature
- Raw walnuts – 1/2 cup for the filling + 1 tablespoon for the garnish
- Garlic – 1 clove
- Cilantro (fresh coriander) – 1/4 cup
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Cut the eggplant lengthwise into thin slices, about 1/2 cm thick each. Sprinkle with salt and set aside for about 7-8 minutes.
- To make the filling, mix requeijão cheese, garlic, walnuts and cilantro in a blender. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Dry the eggplant slices with kitchen paper and grill for about 2-3 minutes until tender.
- Put the filling on each eggplant slice and roll tightly.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Put the eggplant rolls on a platter into the oven and bake for 5 minutes.
- Top with the chopped walnuts and cilantro, and sprinkle with the extra virgin olive oil.
The eggplant rolls are ready to serve. Enjoy!