Ingredients for 6-7 servings:
- 500gr sashimi-grade tuna, at least 3-4 cm thick
- 1 mango
- 6-7 cherry tomatoes
- 1 small red onion
- 1 bag of watercress
- 4-5 basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons high smoke point vegetable oil
For the Ponzu sauce:
- 1/8 cup soy sauce
- 1/8 cup citrus juice (a mix of 6 tablespoons orange juice and 2 tablespoons lemon juice)
- Lemon zest from 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon mirin or 1 tablespoon sake
- 1 teaspoon dashi powder or 1/8 cup dried bonito flakes
- 2 tablespoons wakame seaweed, soaked in 1/4 cup of hot water
- We will start with the Ponzu sauce. Soak 2 tablespoons of wakame seaweed in 1/4 cup of hot water, set aside for about 15 minutes, drain and remove the seaweed (note: we only use the liquid for the sauce). Mix 1/8 cup of soy sauce, 1/8 cup of citrus juice, lemon zest, 1 teaspoon of mirin, 1 teaspoon of dashi powder and the wakame liquid in a bowl. Set aside (note: if you use bonito flakes instead of dashi powder, soak them together with wakame and use the liquid).
- Bring the tuna to room temperature.
- Slice cherry tomatoes, red onion and mango in tiny cubes and put into another bowl. Add finely chopped basil leaves, watercress and the Ponzu sauce to the bowl.
- Heat the high cooking point vegetable oil in a non-sticky frying pan. When the oil is hot, sear tuna 20-30 seconds on each side. When all 4 sides are seared, remove the tuna from the heat and let it cool.
- Slice the tuna in thin (0,5cm) pieces and put vegetables in the Ponzu sauce on each piece.
- Garnish with watercress and roasted sesame seeds. Enjoy!