Ingredients for 6-7 servings:
- 500gr sashimi-grade tuna, at least 3-4 cm thick
- 1 small mango
- 6-7 cherry tomatoes
- 1 small red onion
- 1/2 cup watercress
- 4-5 basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons high smoke point vegetable oil
For the Ponzu sauce:
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup dried bonito flakes
- 1 sheet of dried kombu kelp seaweed (about 10x10cm) or 2 tablespoons wakame seaweed
- 1/4 cup citrus juice (a mix of orange juice and lemon juice)
- Lemon zest from 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- We will start with the Ponzu sauce. Soak 1/4 cup of the bonito flakes and 1 sheet of the kombu kelp in 1/4 cup of the soy sauce in a small sauce pan. Bring the pan to simmer for 10-15 minutes (please, don’t boil). Add 1/4 cup of the citrus juice, 1 lemon zest and 1 tablespoon of mirin to the sauce pan. Set aside for 10-15 minutes and drain well to remove the seaweed, bonito flakes and lemon zest. The Ponzu sauce is ready.
- Bring the tuna to room temperature.
- Slice cherry tomatoes, red onion and mango in tiny cubes and put into a bowl. Add finely chopped basil leaves, watercress and 4-5 tablespoons of the Ponzu sauce to the bowl.
- Heat the high cooking point vegetable oil in a non-sticky frying pan. When the oil is hot, sear tuna 20-30 seconds on each side. When all 4 sides are seared, remove the tuna from the pan and let it cool.
- Slice the tuna in thin pieces of about 0,5cm and put vegetables with the sauce on top of each piece.
- Garnish with watercress and roasted sesame seeds. Enjoy!