Ingredients for 6-7 servings:
- 1kg squid or cuttlefish
- 1 medium sweet onion
- ¼ small cabbage
- 1 medium size carrot
- 4 spring onions (scallions)
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
For the sauce:
- 1 tablespoon Gochujang, Korean red pepper paste
- 1 tablespoon Gochugaru, Korean red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic (approximately 5-6 garlic cloves)
- 2 tablespoons chopped ginger
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients for the sauce and mix well until smooth. Set aside.
- Remove innards, bone and skin of the squid or cuttlefish. Take a sharp knife and score shallow diagonal cuts in a crisscross pattern on the inside surface of the squid. Make sure that you hold your knife at a slight angle, so that you don’t cut through the squid. Scoring makes the squid curl in hot oil and allows flavours to penetrate into the flesh.
- Heat up a wok or a large frying pan over medium high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of cooking oil, and stir-fry the sweet onion, cabbage, carrot, spring onions and green chili pepper for about 6-7 minutes.
- Make place in the middle of the wok and add the squid. Stir-fry for 1-2 minutes. Add the sauce we made in the first step, and mix well.
- Serve the spicy squid on cooked rice. Garnish with sesame seeds and radish sprouts.